and a halfidiom
Definition of and a half
1 —used in measurements of time, distance, weight, etc., to indicate one half of the stated unit of measurement My daughter is two and a half (years old).The fish was a foot and a half long.weighs ten and a half pounds
2 informal —used to say that something is very good, large, difficult, etc. That was a meal and a half!Renovating a house is a job and a half.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game