variants: or less commonly anchovetta
Definition of anchoveta
: a small anchovy (Engraulis ringens) of the Pacific coast from Peru to Chile that forms large schools and is caught commercially especially for use in fish meal also : a related anchovy (Cetengraulis mysticetus) of the Pacific coast from southern California to northern Peru that is caught commercially chiefly for use in fish meal and as bait
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game