Definition of anal sac
: one of the usually paired small pouches of glandular tissue that are located on either side of the anus between the internal and external anal sphincters of various animals (such as dogs, cats, skunks, and foxes) and that discharge often strong-smelling secretions into the anus : anal gland I don't think anyone truly knows why dogs have anal sacs, but the most prominent theory is that they are used as a marking scent. — Jim Berg, News Journal (Wilmington, Delaware), 24 June 2008
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game