Definition of anal sac
: one of the usually paired small pouches of glandular tissue that are located on either side of the anus between the internal and external anal sphincters of various animals (such as dogs, cats, skunks, and foxes) and that discharge often strong-smelling secretions into the anus : anal gland I don't think anyone truly knows why dogs have anal sacs, but the most prominent theory is that they are used as a marking scent. — Jim Berg, News Journal (Wilmington, Delaware), 24 June 2008
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?