an ace up one's sleeveidiom
Definition of an ace up one's sleeve
: a powerful and often secret weapon, advantage, etc., that can be used if it is needed The mayor's popularity among elderly voters gives him an ace up his sleeve for the coming election.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?