Definition of aluminum oxynitride
: a transparent ceramic compound AlON that exhibits a high degree of toughness One promising solution is to replace the glass with significantly cheaper and more effective aluminum oxynitride … a hard, sapphirelike material developed by industry, the U.S. Army and the U.S. Air Force.— Steven Ashley, Scientific American, May 2006
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game