Definition of aluminum oxynitride
: a transparent ceramic compound AlON that exhibits a high degree of toughness One promising solution is to replace the glass with significantly cheaper and more effective aluminum oxynitride … a hard, sapphirelike material developed by industry, the U.S. Army and the U.S. Air Force.— Steven Ashley, Scientific American, May 2006
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?