Definition of aluminothermy
: a process of producing great heat and strong chemical reduction by oxidizing finely divided aluminum with oxygen taken from another metal, this metal being thus reduced from its oxide (as molten iron is obtained from iron oxide in welding by the Thermit process)
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?