Definition of aluminothermy
: a process of producing great heat and strong chemical reduction by oxidizing finely divided aluminum with oxygen taken from another metal, this metal being thus reduced from its oxide (as molten iron is obtained from iron oxide in welding by the Thermit process)
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game