Definition of alumina trihydrate
: the trihydrate of alumina Al(OH)3 used primarily for its flame-retardant properties The influence of the inorganic flame retardants, including alumina trihydrate (ATH) and borax … on the mechanical properties and flammability of high density polyethylene has been studied. — Journal of Technology and Science, 9 May 2010
Note: At approximately 350 degrees Fahrenheit, Al(OH)3 decomposes to Al2O3·3H2O, absorbing heat and releasing water vapor.—abbreviation ATH — compare aluminum hydroxide
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game