Definition of altered
: made different in some way … she addressed me again, speaking in very altered tones; so altered, that I hardly recognised them as hers.— Wilkie Collins … no great change had taken place inside him, but his exterior was visibly altered.— Booth Tarkington
Keep scrolling for more
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game