allopreenverb, transitive + intransitive
allopreens; allopreened; allopreening
Definition of allopreen
of a bird
: to preen or groom the skin or feathers of another bird On other occasions in succeeding weeks the female allopreened her mate, who sometimes solicited by putting his head down.— Lawrence Kilham, The American Crow and the Common Raven, 1991 Allopreening in birds is usually directed at the top of the head, a part of the body not easily reached by the recipient.— James F. Wittenberger, Animal Social Behavior, 1981
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?