Definition of alley-oop
1 basketball : a play in which a leaping player catches a pass above the basket and immediately dunks the ball The meeting of man and ball was dazzling, the two handed alley-oop slam-dunk spectacular.— Shelly Smith also : the usually high, arcing pass thrown on such a play He threw an alley-oop to George Lynch on a fast break … — The New York Times
2 American football : a play in which the quarterback throws a high, arcing pass into the end zone to be caught by a leaping receiver Quarterback Moore hooked up with receiver Moore on one of their patented alley-oops to make the score 20-7.— Austin Murphy also : the pass itself … an alley-oop pass to Chandler from Manning gave the Saints a 13-7 lead. — Larry McMillen … he … tossed an alley-oop to Tate Casey for the first touchdown pass of his college career. — USA Today
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game