alizarine rednoun, often capitalized A&R
Definition of alizarine red
: any of various red mordant or acid dyes most of which are derived from anthraquinone: such as
a : turkey red
b : an orange-yellow crystalline compound C14H7NaO7S used chiefly for dyeing and printing aluminum-mordanted wool scarlet red, as a biological stain, and as an analytical reagent (as for detecting aluminum); sodium 3-alizarin-sulfonate
— called also Alizarine Carmine, Alizarine Red S, Alizarine S
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game