alec·try·o·man·cy | \ ə-ˈlek-trē-ō-ˌman(t)-sē\
variants: or alectoromancy \ ə-ˈlek-tə-rō-ˌman(t)-sē \
Definition of alectryomancy
: divination by means of a cock encircled by grains of corn placed on the letters of the alphabet which are then put together in the order in which the grains were eaten
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?