Definition of air-box
: a chamber in a motor vehicle through which air is drawn and filtered before passing into the carburetors or fuel injectors One of the car’s neatest features is a flap on the intake air-box beneath the hood that opens above 3,000 rpm, emitting a wild, flat intake moan under acceleration.— Terry Box, Dallas Morning News, 8 June 2008
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game