variants: or aero engine
plural aeroengines or aero engines
Definition of aeroengine
: an engine designed to power an aircraft The company plans to build an aeroengine facility in the county, intending to invest $100 million to establish an assembly and test facility for its civil aerospace operations. — Richmond (Virginia) Times Dispatch, 19 Dec. 2008
Note: Aeroengines will sometimes be used for other types of vehicles, such as boats, if a builder sees a need for unusual performance specifications.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Buck Naked' or 'Butt Naked'?
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game