Definition of aeonium
: any of a genus (Aeonium of the family Crassulaceae, the orpine family) of evergreen, succulent herbs and shrubs that are native to northern Africa and nearby islands (such as the Canary and Madeira Islands) and are cultivated as ornamentals especially for their showy, terminal rosettes of fleshy leaves Next to it was a forest of aeoniums—those fleshy rosettes of reddish green petals—rising on thick stems toward the light.— Anne Raver, New York Times, 21 Feb. 2008
Note: Aeoniums bear clusters of small, star-shaped flowers on a stem that emerges from the center of the leaf rosette.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game