chiefly British spelling of eon
1 : an immeasurably or indefinitely long period of time : age I haven't seen him in eons.
2a : a very large division of geologic time usually longer than an era the Archean eon
b : a unit of geologic time equal to one billion years
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game