Definition of adversely
: in an adverse manner : in a way that is bad or harmful Determining which drugs—if any—may have interacted adversely with others is difficult.— Nancy Ann Jeffrey and Robert Langreth — often used with affect Reductions in staffing are affecting the company adversely.Taking a loan from your retirement account may adversely affect your retirement savings, but there are instances when taking such a loan makes sense.— Denise Appleby
Keep scrolling for more
standardized text or formulaic language
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game