Definition of adverb equivalent
: a word not otherwise an adverb or a word group that has one of the typical functions of an adverb (as months in “we have waited months for this”, without leave in “absent without leave”, in the corner in “stand it there in the corner”, when I can in “I'll write when I can”)
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game