Definition of adjugate
: the mathematical transpose of a matrix in which each element is replaced by its cofactor O. [T]aussky used an equivalent form of this fact to obtain a factorization of the adjugate of a matrix … and a result on commutativity … . Here we use it to prove the Cayley-Hamilton theorem and some new theorems.— William Watkins, American Mathematical Monthly, April 1975 — compare adjoint sense 1
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?