adhere tophrasal verb
adhered to; adhering to; adheres to
Definition of adhere to
: to act in the way that is required by (something, such as a rule, belief, or promise) They will adhere to the terms of the contract. Certain standards must be adhered to by all members. She adheres to a strict vegetarian diet.
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game