adhere tophrasal verb
adhered to; adhering to; adheres to
Definition of adhere to
: to act in the way that is required by (something, such as a rule, belief, or promise) They will adhere to the terms of the contract. Certain standards must be adhered to by all members. She adheres to a strict vegetarian diet.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?