adharmanoun, sometimes capitalized
adhar·ma | \ ¦ə-ˈdər-mə\
Definition of adharma
1 Hinduism : individual disharmony with the nature of things : nonconformity to one's worldly situation —opposed to dharma
2 Jainism : the uncreated and eternal substance that enables souls and matter to be inactive : the ontological principle of rest adharma is compared to earth, on which creatures lie and stand— Heinrich Zimmer — compare dharma
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game