add insult to injuryidiom
Definition of add insult to injury
: to do or say something that makes a bad situation even worse for someone People were forced to work longer hours, and to add insult to injury, the company decided not to give pay raises.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- The Exceptions Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game