Definition of acorn woodpecker
: a woodpecker (Melanerpes formicivorus) found from the U.S. Pacific coast south to Colombia that stores acorns in small holes which it digs especially in the bark of trees
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game