Definition of above-the-fold
1 : located above the fold on the front page of a broadsheet newspaper An April 13 verdict … did not merit page 1, above-the-fold treatment but rather a single paragraph deep inside the paper.— Kenneth L. Woodward, Commonweal, 7 May 2010 : suitable for prominent placement on the front page of a newspaper above-the-fold news
2 : located prominently near the top of the page in an electronic document (such as an e-mail or a Web page) Above-the-fold ad placements displayed within the first screen of a user's browser window were found to be the most effective.— Gavin O'Malley, MediaPost, 25 July 2011
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?