a heart of stonenoun phrase
Definition of a heart of stone
(Entry 1 of 2)
: an inflexible and unfriendly or unkind disposition She has a heart of stone.
sink like a stoneidiom
Definition of sink like a stone (Entry 2 of 2)
: to sink very suddenly and quickly The ship hit an iceberg and sank like a stone. —often used figuratively His last movie sank like a stone.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game