a stab in the darknoun phrase
Definition of a stab in the dark
1 : a guess that is based on very little or no information or evidence They don't really know how much the work will cost. They're just taking a stab in the dark.
2 : an attempt that is not likely to succeed It's a stab in the dark, but we should try anyway.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- The Exceptions Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game