a nail in the/someone's coffinidiom
Definition of a nail in the/someone's coffin
: something that makes it more likely that someone or something will fail, be destroyed, etc. Every mistake is one more nail in the coffin of his professional baseball career. The lawyers put another nail in her coffin today.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?