a marked man/womannoun
Definition of a marked man/woman
1 : someone who is famous or who gets a lot of attention Winning the race made him a marked man. As the front-runner, the candidate has become a marked woman.
2 : someone who is not liked or trusted or who is in danger of being harmed His unpopular ideas made him a marked man at work.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?