Definition of a couple
1 : two or a few (of something) Can you give me a couple more examples? This one costs a couple dollars less than that one. —In informal U.S. English, a couple can be used like a couple of I lost interest in the book after a couple chapters.We met a couple years ago.
2 : two or a few "How many drinks have you had?" "Oh, just a couple."
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- “In Vino Veritas” and Other Latin Phrases to Live By
- 7 Shakespearean Insults to Make Life More Interesting
- Word Well Used: 'Resplendent'
- Machiavellianism and (A Whole Lot) More
Ask the Editors
- That Sounds Right/Write/Wright Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game