Definition of a certain
1 —used to refer to a quality that is noticed but that is difficult to explain or describe She has a certain elegance about her.The house has a certain charm.
2 formal —used with the name of a person one does not know In 1889, a certain Mr. Kelly made a large donation to the church.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game