a big fish in a small pondnoun phrase
Definition of a big fish in a small pond
: a person who is very well known or important in a small group of people but who is not known or important outside that group In school he was a big fish in a small pond, but once he moved to the city he was just another struggling actor.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?