Definition of Zimbabwe
1 archaeological site of a people that flourished especially from the 11th to 15th centuries in the northeastern part of the present-day country of Zimbabwe
2 or formerly Southern Rhodesia or 1970–79 Rhodesia or 1979–80 Zimbabwe Rhodesia landlocked country in southern Africa south of the Zambezi River; capital Harare area 150,820 square miles (390,624 square kilometers), population 13,061,239
Note: Zimbabwe was a self-governing British colony that declared itself a republic in 1970. It adopted majority rule in 1979.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game