Definition of Wandering Jew
1 : a Jew of medieval legend condemned by Christ to wander the earth till Christ's second coming
2 not capitalized W : any of several plants (genera Zebrina and Tradescantia) of the spiderwort family especially : either of two trailing or creeping plants (Z. pendula and T. fluminensis) cultivated for their showy and often white-striped foliage
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game