noun, often attributive
WYS·​I·​WYG | \ ˈwi-zē-ˌwig How to pronounce WYSIWYG (audio) , -zə- How to pronounce WYSIWYG (audio) \

Definition of WYSIWYG

: a display generated by word-processing or desktop-publishing software that exactly reflects the document as it would appear in its finished state

Did you know?

In the early 1980s, the phrase "what you see is what you get" was abbreviated to "WYSIWYG" by computer users who sought a term to describe software that accurately reflects the appearance of the finished product. WYSIWYG interfaces eliminate the need for users to master complex formatting codes, allowing them to concentrate instead on design. Originally used in word processing and desktop publishing, they are now found in Web editors and other programs used to create electronic documents. The word WYSIWYG is a noun, but it is often used attributively (modifying another noun).

First Known Use of WYSIWYG

1982, in the meaning defined above

History and Etymology for WYSIWYG

what you see is what you get

Learn More About WYSIWYG

Time Traveler for WYSIWYG

Time Traveler

The first known use of WYSIWYG was in 1982

See more words from the same year

Listen to Our Podcast About WYSIWYG

Dictionary Entries Near WYSIWYG




See More Nearby Entries 

Statistics for WYSIWYG

Cite this Entry

“WYSIWYG.” Merriam-Webster.com Dictionary, Merriam-Webster, https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/WYSIWYG. Accessed 27 May. 2022.

Style: MLA
MLACheck Mark Icon ChicagoCheck Mark Icon APACheck Mark Icon Merriam-WebsterCheck Mark Icon

More from Merriam-Webster on WYSIWYG

Nglish: Translation of WYSIWYG for Spanish Speakers


Test Your Vocabulary

Name That Color

  • a light greenish blue color
  • Name that color:
Spell It

Can you spell these 10 commonly misspelled words?

Universal Daily Crossword

A daily challenge for crossword fanatics.

Love words? Need even more definitions?

Subscribe to America's largest dictionary and get thousands more definitions and advanced search—ad free!