variants: or less commonly Vigenère table or Vigenère square
Definition of Vigenère tableau
: a square cipher table formed by placing the same normal or mixed primary alphabet one step farther to the left on each successive line and used by reading the ciphertext letter within the table in the row and column defined by key and plaintext letters in alphabets in the left and top margins respectively
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game