plural Toma or Tomas
Definition of Toma
(Entry 1 of 2)
1 : a people of adjacent parts of Liberia and Guinea
2 : a member of the Toma people
-tomanoun combining form
-to·ma | \ təmə, təmə\
Definition of -toma (Entry 2 of 2)
: animal having a (specified) type of segmentation —in generic names especially of insects Triatoma
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game