Tish·chen·ko reaction | \ tə̇ˈsh|eŋ(ˌ)kō-, tə̇shˈch|\
Definition of Tishchenko reaction
: the synthesis (as of ethyl acetate from acetaldehyde and aluminum ethoxide) of an ester from an aldehyde involving simultaneous oxidation and reduction of two molecules of the aldehyde in the presence of an aluminum alkoxide
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game