Definition of Teleostomi
: a class or sometimes a subclass that contains all existing jawed fishes except the Chondrichthyes or sometimes the Chondrichthyes and Choanichthyes, that is characterized by membrane bones developed in connection with and entering into the structure of the jaws, cranium, pectoral arch, and opercular apparatus, gill arches bearing filamentous gills, and no claspers on the ventral fins, and that includes the ganoids and teleosts and is further characterized by the hyostylic suspensorium, bony fin rays, and lack of cerebral hemispheres
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?