Definition of Tasmanian native hen
: a large, dark-colored, flightless rail (Tribonyx mortierii synonym Gallinula mortierii) native to Tasmania that has a yellow bill, red eyes, and an erect tail Wallabies graze the lawns alongside wombats, while Tasmanian native hens strut about on their matchstick legs.— Andrew Bain, The Sydney (Australia) Morning Herald, 13 July 2013
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
- The Words of the Week - 6/11/2021
Ask the Editors
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game