variants: or Swartkrans man \ ˈsfärtˌkränz , ˈsvä- \
Definition of Swartkranz ape-man
: a large extinct southern African australopithecine (Homo erectus capensis) known from skulls, teeth, and other fossil skeletal remains and having a flat face and brow with weak supraorbital crest, a well-developed sagittal crest, a distinctly manlike jaw and teeth, and a brain capacity surpassing that of any recent ape and possibly that of Java man — compare kromdraai ape-man
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?