Swans·combe man | \ ˈswänzkəm-\
Definition of Swanscombe man
: a prehistoric man known from the left parietal and an occipital bone found in middle Pleistocene Thames gravels in association with Acheulean artifacts and coeval fauna and probably representing an early form of Homo sapiens antedating Neanderthal man
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game