Spi·nus | \ ˈspīnəs, -pēn-\
Definition of Spinus
in former classifications
: a genus of small finches that included the siskins and the New World goldfinches
Note: Species formerly classified in this genus are now classified in in the genus Carduelis
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game