Definition of Singapore
1 island of the Malay Archipelago in the South China Sea off the southern end of the Malay Peninsula area 255 square miles (660 square kilometers), population 5,076,700
Note: Singapore was formerly a British crown colony and from 1963 to 1965 a state of the country of Malaysia. It has been an independent republic in the Commonwealth of Nations since 1965.
2 city, port, and capital of Singapore that is located on Singapore Strait population 206,500
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game