Sab·ba·tine | \ ˈsabəˌtīn, -tēn\
Definition of Sabbatine
: of, relating to, or constituting an indulgence granted the Carmelite order and its confraternities based originally on a spurious bull of 1322 promising liberation from Purgatory the Saturday after death, ratified in modified form by later popes, and promising the intercession of the Virgin Mary to those observing given conditions the Sabbatine privilege
Keep scrolling for more
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game