Definition of Saar
Note: This region has passed back and forth between French and German hands multiple times during the past several centuries. At the start of World War I it was part of Germany, but after the war its coal mines were awarded to France and the region itself was administered by the League of Nations from 1919 until 1935, when the vast majority of its inhabitants voted by plebiscite to rejoin Germany. After World War II, it again came under the control of France but then passed to West Germany following a 1957 plebiscite.
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
- 'Confuzzled': A Not So Confusing Definition
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/17/19
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game