Quin·qua·ges·i·ma | \ ˌkwinkwəˈjesəmə, -jāzəmə\
Definition of Quinquagesima
1 obsolete : the period extending from the Sunday before Lent to Easter Sunday or the first week of this period
2 : the Sunday before Lent or the seventh before Easter in the church year observed by various branches of the Christian Church
— called also Quinquagesima Sunday, Shrove Sunday
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game