Definition of Quaoar
: a probable dwarf planet that orbits far beyond the orbit of Neptune with a mean distance from the sun of about 43.4 astronomical units (4.03 billion miles) and a diameter of approximately 890 miles (1430 kilometers) Discovered by Brown and his colleagues in 2002, Quaoar took center stage at a session of the planetary science meeting in Puerto Rico.— Ron Cowen, Science News, 16 Jan. 2010
Note: Quaoar is believed to qualify as a dwarf planet under the current definition of that term, but precise identification of its characteristics is made difficult by its distance from the Earth.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
- Must 'Collide' Mean Two Moving Objects?
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game