Pro·to·siphon | \ "+\
Definition of Protosiphon
: a genus (the type of the family Protosiphonaceae) of unicellular multinucleate freshwater green algae consisting of a single form (P. botryoides) that is broadly tubular or more or less balloon-shaped and grows often confusingly mingled with Botrydium attached to mud by a single rarely branching rhizoid
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game