Pro·to·hemiptera | \ "+\
Definition of Protohemiptera
: an order of extinct insects known only from the Upper Carboniferous and Permian, formerly considered ancestral to the Hemiptera but now usually regarded as closely related to the Palaeodictyoptera, and characterized by suctorial mouthparts and by a wing venation like that of the Palaeodictyoptera
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game