Definition of Proterozoic
: of, relating to, or being the eon of geologic time or the corresponding segment of rocks that includes the interval between the Archean and Phanerozoic eons, exceeds in length all of subsequent geologic time, and is marked by rocks that contain fossils indicating the first appearance of eukaryotic organisms (such as algae) — see Geologic Time Table
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game